Veridian is proud to be a green leader in the homebuilding category. We're confident that our earth-friendly focus will fit you and the home you're searching for. A Focus On Energy-certified home is not only a smart investment but a home that offers better performance when compared to older homes. We strive to make every Veridian home a high-performance home because we know what's important. By encouraging efficient energy usage and reducing waste, you'll see lower energy bills and a higher quality of life. The earth-friendly benefit comes from less pollution and conservation of natural resources. Simply put, high performance is high on our priority list.
We pride ourselves on being both a local and national leader on the “go-green” front. We have been building energy efficient homes since 2001, and with more than 3,000 Green Built/Focus On Energy homes to date, 66% of all the certified energy efficient homes in Dane County are ours. Compare this to the 4% of used homes sold in our market meeting green standards and what results is a huge differentiator between an old home and a new Veridian home. We're always trying new green products and processes and making changes as better practices and materials come along. Veridian has participated in national programs, like Energy Value Housing Award, to push awareness and use of green energy in a building environment. The importance of this field to Veridian has been recognized with numerous distinctions, including the US EPA Leadership in Housing Award, the Federation of Environmental Technologists Governor's Award for Excellence in Environmental Performance and the NAHB Research Center's National Energy Value Housing Award.
We want you to feel comfortable in your new home, confident that the highest standards and top-of-the-line materials were used to build it. A building science expert certifies your home before you move in and ensures all high-tech products are properly installed. Your Veridian home is durable, comfortable, safe, healthy, responsible and efficient. And with your Veridian team backing up these qualities, that's something you can be confident in.
At Veridian, the highest quality of all facets of a home are expected and delivered. Your new home will be more comfortable and durable and offer better indoor air quality than older or used homes. Every piece of your Veridian home, all its parts and products, work together as an integrated system. As such, you get high performance on a system-wide scale. Your whole house, working as one.
Energy Efficient Building Practices.
- Stud placement at 24” in center to provide maximum insulation potential.
- Exterior walls are protected from moisture with Tyvek® House Wrap, allowing air to move out while stopping moisture from moving in.
- Exterior walls forming the thermal envelope are caulked at top and bottom plates, completely sealing out air flow.
- Interior wall partitions are sealed with caulk at top plate joints to prevent air flow in finished area.
- All penetrations through thermal envelope such as wire and piping are fully sealed, omitting air transmission into the home.
- Exterior wall insulation provides six-sided contact with no voids at wire, blocking and vents.
- Exterior wall corners complete with three studs, providing better insulation and creating a warm and energy efficient corner.
- Windows & Doors:
- Voids between door and window jambs are fully insulated and air sealed.
- Window and door flanges caulked with silicone between exterior wall Tyvek House Wrap and flange, creating a barrier from water and air to the interior of the home.
- Window flanges are taped to the Tyvek House Wrap, adding an extra layer of protection from water and air infiltration.
- Attic & Roof:
- Attic and roof vent placement is designed to ensure maximum air flow in attic, allowing it to stay cooler in the summer and help prevent ice damning in the winter.
- A compact fiberglass insulation known as Cellulose is blown into the attic. This more compact type of insulation hinders the air flow, allowing a higher performance.
- Penetrations through ceiling drywall to attic are sealed to prevent air flow the finished area.
- Attic, access lids, and gasket are insulated to R-value, preventing air flow in finished area.
- Box sill and sill plate at the top of the foundation wall are sealed “air tight” with silicone caulk, insulated to meet the Wisconsin State Energy Code.
- Floor decking is glued to exterior perimeter joist, creating an air tight seal.
- Floors with unheated areas below, such as garages, are built down forming a larger insulation cavity and filled with Cellulose. Cavity is capped off with insulated sheathing before the final coat of drywall is applied.
- Exterior tub/shower unit walls are fully insulated with vapor barrier - applied and sealed air tight with wall sheathing before installation.
- One bathroom in each home receives a 100 CFM fan that is controlled as a Whole House Fan, removing moisture from the home.
- Every other bath receives an 80 CFM bath fan to assist in removing moisture.
- All fans are 3rd party tested to ensure peak performance.
- CFL energy efficient light bulbs are used for maximum energy savings.
- Carbon monoxide detectors located on each floor.
- Electrical boxes on exterior wall are sealed with caulk, preventing air penetration into finished area.
- Electrical boxes are air sealed with caulk to the drywall.
- 93% AFUE energy efficient furnace vented direct to the exterior of the home.
- 13 SEER Bryant® central air conditioner.
- Bryant Media Air Cleaner.
- Hood fans vented to the exterior.
- .64 EF rated water heater vented direct to the outside.
- Home Energy Rating:
- All homes are 3rd party inspected to meet Green Built Homes Guidelines and Focus on Energy’s New Home Program quality building and energy standards.
- Average HERS score = 60
Veridian is always looking out for what's best for you and what's best for our Earth. With increased energy and water efficiency, and conservation of natural resources, we're working to do our part in the green scheme of things while decreasing your monthly energy bills. Veridian helps you to reduce your carbon footprint, which everyone, Earth included, can be happy about. Our partners are also doing their part too, like Kohler® with their water-saving, low-flow products and The Bruce Company with their "living walls" made out of recycled materials and used to help keep our lakes and streams clean by stopping soil erosion at construction sites. To find out more about Kohler® visit www.savewateramerica.com. For additional information on The Bruce Company's environmental conservation techniques, visit www.brucecompany.com.
As a homeowner, living earth friendly isn't only nice for the environment; it's nice for your wallet too. The Focus On Energy and Green Built Home certifications are not only marks of environmental friendliness but also represent better quality. This translates to the increased value of your home. It's a good idea for today and smart planning for tomorrow as well.
Green Today. Green Tomorrow.
The green approach Veridian takes when building its homes will continue to focus on energy efficiency and reducing your costs for years to come. Lower ownership costs and CFL bulbs, standard in each Veridian home, start the trend. Then, each year enjoy lower gas and utility costs – an average savings of $1,398* a year as well as an increased quality of life. Click here to read more about CFL bulbs.
*Estimated savings based on a comparison between a Veridian home built to standard Veridian specifications and a similar home meeting building code requirements. Utility rates are based off of current MG&E rates. These savings include the cost savings benefit of using CFL bulbs. Actual energy savings may vary depending on a number of factors including number of people living in the household, consumption habits, age/condition of electronics and appliances used and lifestyle.
Detailed Information on Green.